Posted on: 07 February 2014
What is Telematics?
Telematics is an exciting new development that is destined to change the insurance industry by offering personalised insurance based on how, where and when you drive. It relies on GPS and accelerometer technology built into black boxes, plug and play devices and smartphones.
The device uses a GPS system to track the vehicle’s movements. Data that can be collected includes:
- The distance the car travels and on what kind of road
- The location of the car and what time it is used
- Speed and direction of travel
- Braking behaviour of the driver
- Force of impact in a collision
The service provides two pieces of information:
- Driving Data: Monitoring the driving behaviour and how safe the driving is*
- Accident Data: Measures the force of impact and accident dynamics*
* Device dependent
The capabilities of telematics solutions are rapidly growing within the insurance industry, and we will be monitoring its development throughout 2014 to keep you up to date with the latest news.